Our company’s roots go back over 100 years to when Frederick Webber bought himself out of the Navy and established a packman’s round in and around Truro. His sons Eustice and Ned joined their father and together they purchased a 200 gallon tank and established their paraffin business.
The other element of Mitchell & Webber began about the same time in the village smithy at Bridge, Redruth when Ernest Mitchell took over the family blacksmith business. Some years later his son Bert bought a paraffin round in the Perranporth area to subsidise the income from the forge and soon business spread to a wider area around Camborne and Redruth.
In 1953 Mitchells became a branded distributor for a major oil company followed by Webber Bros in 1954. In 1966 the two families combined their operations to take over another distributor in the Falmouth area.
Another milestone in our company’s history was the building of our own oil terminal at Scorrier, Redruth, which became operational in April 1993. The terminal has a storage capacity of 1.8 million litres and has the most up to date, state of the art, computerised equipment installed to enable the terminal to exceed all environmental and health and safety standards.
The Company has a large fleet of tankers ranging from a 35,000 litre articulated trailer down to a 5,000 litre small tanker for narrow access sites. All vehicles are equipped with the latest computer tablet PCs to give instant communication with our tanker fleet. This allows the driver to be in constant touch with the terminal enabling the staff to ensure the highest standard of service to customers.
Watch this short film documenting our history: